Java Hellenic User Group (a.k.a JHUG)
JHUG, is the very first Java User group in Greece, founded in 2001 by a handful of Java enthusiasts and professionals. It was initially formed as a small online community, active through small Greek bulletin boards e.g insomnia.gr) & java.net, contributing java related material and tutorials in the Greek language. After a couple of years, a small board or people was formed and the user group obtained officially legal representation as a -nonprofit organization (‘Συλλογος Προγραμματιστών Java’)- by the Greek authorities, something that was necessary in order the group to organize small tech days and seminars. The base of JHUG is Athens Greece.
Mini Tech days
Soon after obtaining a legal representation, the community managed to organize some quite large ‘for the greek standards‘ mini tech days and seminars (2007,2008,2009), based on community speakers from abroad or local professionals, free to attend and participate. Most of these tech days were sponsored by Greek tech Companies like (European Dynamics, Trasys Greece, Ideal, Cognity, Sun Microsystems – Hellas Branch, abiss.gr) and the JHUG members.
In the past 3 years the group is organizing a monthly meeting, usually held at the premises of the Collaboration Workspace Athens (we are grateful for their generous offer and support all over these years), where members are free to present mini tech talks, around the Java ecosystem, socialize and exchange professional views around the local and global IT market. The event’s agenda is usually finalized through the public mailing list / group – (google group).
The members of the community use the following services in order to communicate, exchange views or organize meetups and java events. Feel free to join or follow one of the following
- LinkedIn Group
- Google Group – main mailing list
- Twitter Account
- Google Event Calendar
- Facebook Group
Our community exists and operates under the following principles
- Help spreading knowledge and resources related to the Java Language and the Java technology ecosystem in the Greek developer community for free.
- Organize and bring Greek Java professionals together, under a common internet group/space.
- Encourage building and extending any potential professional opportunities between members and associated software companies.
- Organize various types of activities such as mini tech days, seminars, sort talks or visits to academic institutions for free!
- Offer it’s services to all the member and any related activities for free.